Friday, July 20, 2012

Alone Take 2

Note: Another old version of Alone.




Alone Take 2

_________________________________________________
I grabbed the old bin bag as I was walking past and swung around and walked out the door onto the street. It was cold tonight, better hurry then.
As I was walking back to the door I overheard something. It was like a growl, but it sounded wrong for some reason. "Curiosity killed the cat." I said to myself and walked around my yard and jumped over the broken fencing that leads into the empty block between my house and Rowans, my childhood crush. That's where I thought it was coming from, unfortunately I was right.
_________________________________________________

I woke up screaming. I hurt all over, every sense hit me like a wave and I struggled.
I heard someone next to me "It's all right Kelly." But I couldn't stop, it hurt too much and every time I screamed it felt like a release. It felt better and then I felt something wash over me. It took away the pain, but I was too far out of it yet to make much out of blurry, distorted vision and ears ringing but feeling nothing either.
I lay like that for what seemed like hours, not knowing where I was. Until I fell asleep to the soothing tone that echoed in my ears when the ringing started to fall away.
I awoke again, my head feeling like a pinball machine. But I felt better, although my hearing was strange. Like I was hearing differently altogether and something strange. Something that was lying over my legs, it was warm and soft. It felt nice.
"Are you awake Kelly?" Someone called to me. I opened my eyes and quickly shut them, everything was so bright. I smelt lots of strange things to and something that needed a wash. I opened my eyes slowly and looked at the angel face hovering over me. Until I realized who it was and then I went deathly quiet. Where am I? I thought and why is he looking down at me. Oh know did I fall over?!? That's really embarrassing, I sat up and got pushed back down softly again. I looked up at him confused. I was lying on a bed in someone's house, not mine I'd recognize mine in an instant and I'm not at Jesses. Her rooms littered with teddy bears, so where am I?
"Are you alright Kelly?" Rowan asked at the same time I asked "Where am I?"
I instantly cowed and went limp.
"I'm fine." I tried to say, but it came out like whisper. My voice sounded funny and so did everything else. "Where am I?" I asked again. This time more slowly, my throat was hurting. He gave me a worried look, "My house." He said. I felt my face go red and something strange moved around my legs, I felt something different to. I don't know how to describe it, like something soft patted my head. I also noticed I wasn't wearing my own clothes, I was wearing a t-shirt that was 3 sizes too big for me that had 'I'm bored' written across it with a little character sleeping below it and black shorts.
My face went even redder.
"Um..." I said to myself, confused even more.
"There my clothes." Rowan stated bluntly. If I could go any redder I'd be like a beetroot.
I looked at Rowan again and went limp from his look, he had a concerned look on his face. My heart skipped a couple of beats as I took in his features properly for what felt like the first time. I'd been trying to avoid meeting him when I started high school because everything I said used to come out wrong or I was just mute.
His green eyes were giving off enough radiance for me to start dying right now and I wouldn't care. His blond hair was cut neatly around his neckline in a sought off surfer look and his athletic body was giving me the tingles.
I looked down at myself and noticed that my slim little figure was doomed. I wasn't in any way a sports person. I was always told I was too small for most things and I quit gymnastics a year ago because I didn't like the new coach. She wasn't very nice to me, so I didn't go back.
My hair looked strange, it was paler. I need to get some hair products into it, I felt through it a bit more and I was a little startled to find silver hairs in there. I quickly searched through it some more while Rowan was watching me with a vivid curiosity.
My stomach growled and I stopped what I was doing and went red again.
"I'll go get some food in a minute." he said and my stomach growled at him. At least I think it did, I was confused more than ever. I sounded more like it was coming from my throat, weird.
"Shush!" He demanded and I instantly went quiet again. I was trying to hide beneath the covers and hugging the pillow when he said "You're not human anymore, so try and act like it." My heart skipped a beat and then I just gave him a puzzled look. What is he going on about? I thought.
"You're a Werewolf." He added. He was probably waiting for a big reaction, none came. A werewolf? What is he going on about I thought? "Come with me." He said nicely, it came out like a demand and I was beside him wondering what I was doing. Something bumped my legs and I looked down, I nearly screamed. He just grabbed me and pulled me into the bathroom. "Calm down. Now look at the mirror." He said in that soothing tone again. I did what he said and froze,
"What's that on my head?" I said quietly and nearly dropped to the floor when the pointy things on top of my head dropped.
"You're ears." He replied.
"My what?" I answered in a voice I could hardly hear.
"You're ears." He said again. I just looked at him with a mixture of confused and horror. "It will take a little while to sink in." "Look down at your legs." I looked to where he was pointing at. There was a fluffy matted thing against them. I followed it up past my knees and around my hips, it came out just above the shorts I was wearing. Pushing them down a little,
"Am I dreaming?" I asked
"I hoped so. But no you're not." He replied, I sunk to the floor and he knelt down next to me. "Wash you're self up and come down when you're ready." "You'll feel better and I put some clothes of yours next to the bath." With that and he walked out and closed the door.
I took in the room around me. It was clean? What kind of guy is he?
The mirror was above the basin opposite the bath and the shower was next to it in the corner. My clothes were draped over the side of the bath, how'd he get them I wonder. But then how did I end up in his room like this, I just come up blank. Is this all true? I looked at myself in the mirror again, had to be. You don't get ears and a tail like that for no reason, but then aren't werewolf's bloodthirsty animals? I'll have to ask.
I got undressed and slipped into the shower and examined myself and made the mistake of sniffing the air, I turned the shower on quickly.
Once I got out I had a hectic time trying to dry myself. In the end I shook myself dry, weirdly enough I was dryer and confused why I did that. I looked through the clothes he brought over and died a little inside. I knew he didn't have any fashion sense but this just puts it all into a whole new level.
So I just threw them on. He'd picked out my grey top, the sleeves were down to my elbows. Some black cargo pants and my jacket that I wear to my brothers every weekend. When I was done I walked into the room I'd been in before. Wow, that's all I could say. It was really plain, nothing that made it unique at all. I had a look at his desk, but there was nothing interesting there either. I gave up and headed down stairs.





Chapter 1



“Feel better?” Rowan asked from somewhere nearby.

I smelled something weird, why am I smelling things?

“I don’t know.” I said quietly to myself as I stepped into his kitchen. It was the same as his room and some bacon that I couldn’t stop staring at. It smelled good, I could almost taste it in my mouth.

“Stop!” I froze, I couldn’t move. It felt like something was holding me in place. It felt like it did when, when I was asleep. I couldn’t feel anything.

“Try to control yourself Kelly.” “That’s my breakfast too you know.” He walked over and grabbed something from me. But I wasn’t holding anything was I? He held a strip of bacon in front of me and my mouth watered. Great now I was drooling in front of him.

Hang on rewind, my mouth was watering at the sight of meat? But I’m a vegetarian and when did I get that?

“Kelly look, I know it’s hard.” “But you have to fight it.” Suddenly feeling came back and I dropped to the floor confused. What was he talking about, he hasn’t really explained anything to me and what I’m a werewolf? Since when and how?

I pulled myself off the floor and sunk into a seat at the table. “I’m confused.” I said.

“Well, I’ll explain most of it to you in a sec. OK?” Rowan said,

“OK.” Was my quiet reply. I noticed that I was staring at the bacon in the pan cooking and tried to turn away unsuccessfully. It just smelled so good.

I held my nose to block myself from jumping towards it.

“Try and get used to it.” Rowan said with his back turned, scary.

“Used to what?” I asked quietly,

“Smells.” He simply stated. I took my hand off my nose and took in as much air as I could through my nose. There was so much and the bacon was so good, I found myself staring at it again and I turned away successfully this time. Staring at a rather interesting spec on the table.

“What happened?” I asked

“You got attacked by a werewolf.” I didn’t remember that. “I took you in to try and help. I don’t want any more victims, there’s too many already.”

“Victims?” I said and shuddered.

“Yes victims, just you’re the only one who survived. You’re lucky you were so close.” He said as he dumped some egg and bacon on my plate and I fell on it quickly, forgetting about what he just said.

“Stop!” He yelled. But I could still move this time.

“Look at what you’re doing.” He pointed at the plate where I was grabbing the food with my mouth. I was really freaked out now, this was just plain weird. I dropped what I had in my mouth and swallow the rest.

“What.” I tried to say but it came out more like a squeaky “Wha...”

“Kelly.” I looked at him, I was more than just freaked now.

“Yes.” I said in a voice barely able to understand.

“You have a different kind of instincts now.” “You will have to adapt to them and learn how to control yourself.” Rowan said.

“You mean the food thing?” I was barely above a whisper.

“Yes and there will be a lot more.” I paused trying to take it all in.

“What do you mean?” I asked

“Just imagine a dog.” A dog?

“There similar to werewolves in a way. But..... Well you know.” No I don’t, not really. This is all new to me. The only thing I really know about werewolves is that silver hurts them, they have to become a wolf on the full moon and that they kill people.

“Will I change on the full moon?” I asked stuttering.

“Yes.”

“Will I hurt people?”

“Not if you can control yourself. Otherwise...” He let that hang. I didn’t want to know the rest.

“Does silver hurt?” I asked so quietly I’m surprised he even heard me,

“Yes.” I looked down at the food losing some of my appetite, but not enough for me to stop eating.

I sat there eating my food in silence for a few minutes before he spoke up again.

“You’ll have to stay here for a few days, to get used to it.” He said, my heart skipped a few beats. I knew he was right though, the food thing proved that.

I simply nodded, I was still hungry.

He finished his plate and walked to the sink and washed it.

“Still hungry?” He asked, becoming the Rowan I thought I knew.

“Sought of.” I said, I just ate twice as much as him and I’m still hungry? I dismissed it as a werewolf thing and moved on to my next lot of bacon and egg.

“You can’t tell anyone.” He was looking directly at me with his hands crossed. I don’t know why I did it, but I sunk lower somehow.

“OK.” I said quietly while sinking into my chair. I finished my plate, washed it and went into the living room where Rowan was watching TV.

“How come you know so much?” I asked before I cowed out.

“Because I hunt things like you. That aren’t human, there my speciality.” He answered, I was stunned, speechless. “Don’t worry, I only hunt the bad guys though.” He said it like it was nothing, my heart flip flopped.

“Why?” I asked scared to death. I’d gathered that I wasn’t human anymore.

“Because that’s what my family’s done since the plague.” He answered.

I’d had enough information for one day so I sat down on the floor, some drama was on. If only they knew what kind of drama this was.

On the first ad break, something started rubbing the top of my head. I didn’t notice at first, but then it felt nice and leaned into it for better spot.

Before I knew it I was asleep.





Chapter 2



Something grabbed me in my sleep, startled I opened my eyes quickly and I was nearly blinded by how bright the room was. It hurt and I started kicking and screaming as I was pulled across the floor. Something was slapped around my wrist, tightened and whoever grabbed me let go. Instinctively I tried to move away from them, but as I tried to move I was held back by whatever was on my wrist.

Then my wrist felt like it was on fire, like fire was surrounding the cuff. It hurt a lot.

I cried out and tried to pull myself free only to encounter more pain. I heard someone crashing around in the kitchen and then Rowan come running out but he didn’t look at me. He looked behind me. I turned around and found a gun pointed straight at me.

I stared at it. For some reason it felt wrong like the gun was danger, like fire?

“It’s loaded with silver and the cuffs are lined with it too.” The woman in front of me stated. I gulped moaning in pain, my wrists hurt a lot more than they did before.

“Jessie don’t!” Rowan said.

“Why not, she was in your house Rowan.” “Werewolves aren’t natural and look at her, she’s more unnatural than any I’ve ever seen.” She replied. I felt like I was a caged animal, but then maybe I was.

I felt sick now, not like I was going to throw up. But like I was suddenly tired, everywhere stung on my hands.

“It really hurts Rowan.” I called out in little more than a whisper. “I. Don’t. Feel. So. Good..”

“Shut up, Dog!” The woman yelled at me. I tried to get further towards Rowan, away from her. I ended up unable to move properly laying on the floor. My hand hurt so much it was unbearable, I tried to move up to it.

Something hit me in the head. I cried out as more pain registered and then I couldn’t see anything anymore. I knew I wasn’t asleep because I still felt the pain. Then I heard what sounded like Rowan.

“Are you alright Kelly?” His soothing words cut through the pain and it seemed to slip away.

“Where are you?” I shakily asked. I felt something drop, my arm.

“Right here Kelly.” He said right after. Then I remembered the woman.

“Can you turn on the lights, it’s too dark?” I asked. I could only just hear myself.

“I can’t move.” I stated.

“The lights are still on Kelly.” Rowan relied. “You can’t move because of the silver, it’ll get better.”

“Why can’t I see you?” I couldn’t hear myself properly, I was scared. Did I do something again?



That’s the last thing I remembered when I woke up, the woman was watching me beside the bed I was in. I instantly tried to move away and fell off the side, I crawled underneath the bed and curled up into a ball hoping for some safety. Her head poked under and I instantly started shivering.

“It’s alright, I’m not going to hurt you.” She said. But I didn’t believe her for a second, I got further away towards the corner.

“But keep it in mind.” “You do anything strange and..” She showed the gun she pulled from somewhere. I don’t know why, but I hugged my tail for moral support. It helped a little.

“Stop it Jessie!” Someone else yelled. “You’ll make her worse.”

Tears escaped from my eyes, this was all too much. I broke down, tears were streaming down my face. I don’t get it, ‘Rowan?.... Rowan?..’ I don’t know what anymore, I started crying.

“Kelly, Kelly.. It’s alright she’s not going to hurt you.” Rowan called to me. I tried to stop crying unsuccessfully.

“What happened, that night?” I asked him in between sobs.

“Nothing you want to remember.”

No comments:

Post a Comment