Friday, July 20, 2012

Awakening Rewrite – Chapters 1-3

Note: More old crap.




Awakening Rewrite – Chapters 1-3



Prologue


Same dream, I feel like I’m burning but it doesn’t hurt. I feel comforted by the heat. I can’t see anything but I feel like I don’t need to, it feels great like this.

Voices filtered into my mind, kick starting me awake.

“Sis wake up, come on wake up already!” Little Kate’s voice, little sisters can be such a pain.

“I was sleeping.” I mumbled through the pillow.

“Not anymore!” She yelled as she pulled off my covers. I groaned and held onto the pillow, soft and warm. I didn’t want to let go, so I slowly sat up hugging it to my chest. My eyes opening and closing, getting used to the light. I rubbed them and looked at my little sister, cute as always in her pajamas. I got off my bed and looked around for my cat, nowhere to be seen.

"Where's my?"I was about to ask, but she's already gone. How does she do that I wondered?

I could hear Kate bouncing around downstairs. Feeling a little sore I stood up and walked over to the mirror and turned around. My back was swollen, right in between my shoulder blades. I hope they got me a new bed for my birthday, my bed started to hurt my back about a month ago. I suppose it was older than me though so I'd have to give it credit, all my friends have given up on sharing a bed with me on our sleep over’s.

I have a nasty habit of taking up all the space and stealing all of the covers, usually injuring someone in the process. I don’t even know what’s happening until I’m under assault via pillow. My Mum thinks it’s cute though, apparently my friends don’t though.

Back to the now though, I turned back around glancing up at my face and looking into my eyes. My eyes have confused me for a long time, I used to wander what was wrong with me and why no one else had Silver eyes. But today they were unusually bright and looked as if there was a fire igniting in them.

Strange, I thought and I walked towards my bathroom. My wavy hair bouncing and getting into my eyes, annoying me until I noticed something different about it. I grabbed the door handle and stepped in slipping on something wet. I hit the ground with a moan, I must have landed on my sore back. It killed.

Sitting up I looked at the wet towel I was tangled in and stared at it, hoping it would disappear. My infamous death glare Mal calls it although it doesn’t work on him, unless making someone laugh so hard they end up falling over breathless having trouble gasping for air is called a victory.



Thinking of that idiot always makes my stomach turn. Untangling myself from the towel I carefully stood up and looked into the mirror, rubbing my eyes to clear the woozy feeling I got from standing up to quick.

My hair was brighter, I shook it off and blamed it on the fast approaching summer I was looking forward to. Must be the sun or something.

I stepped into the shower and turned the taps on . Making sure it was scorching hot just the way I like it. I love showers, they make my world go round.



After I cleaned myself up I walked into my room and jumped into my tracky pants, pulled out a grey shirt from my draw and I slipped it on. I looked at the mirror across from me. Same as always, shirt hugging my body, sleeves just past my elbows and trackys keeping me warm. My brown hair grown to just below my neckline and my fringe hiding my face.

I grabbed my bag from the chair on my desk and slid it on as I closed the door to my room.

"OW!" My bag dug into my back hitting my sore spot. Cursing I carried it down and put everything into my sports bag instead, rubbing my sore back and wincing I slid it over my shoulder.

Must have slept wrong.





Chapter 1



Getting to school early, my main problem and as usual I was late.

I picked up speed and ran straight into the corridors, shoved my bag in my locker and grabbed my books for the worst subject in the world Literature, shoot me now.

I sped in to the room and slumped into my seat.

“Make yourself at home Theia.” The Teacher Ms Annual told me.

“No Problem.” I replied and just grinned at her and as usual,

“So what’s your excuse for being late today?” She said giving me what she thought must have been a threatening glare. I giggled and replied “I slept in.” Giving me a disappointed look, I heard her mumble.

“I was looking forward to it.” I giggled again and looked at Zoey next to me who was giving Brian puppy dog guys, complete with the elbows on the tables and all. Completely oblivious to him she took a picture with her phone and then the bitch parade started.

“Ms Annual, Theia was late. Shouldn’t she get a detention?” Macey, The Queen in her own mind stated to everyone. I looked back to Zoey, still oblivious to the world.

In most of my classes I have at least one of my friends, it’s great.

“Zoey, do me a favor and ask him out.” I asked her, breaking her out of the spell.

“What, What?” She answered, clearly she hasn’t heard me right.

“Nothing,” I said as pointed towards Ms Annual who was ignoring Macey and playing on her laptop, what happened next was so funny that I ended up falling out of my chair and let me tell you. It hurt like crazy when I landed on my back.

Macey had pushed up out of her chair sending it backwards smacking it into Brian’s leg who kicked it forward most likely out of annoyance, tripping over Macey who fell flat on her bum. Macey got up and started yelling at him, oblivious to her. He wasn’t even paying attention with his earphones in.

Half laughing and repeating “Ow!”

I stood up off the ground and got back into my seat, I couldn’t sit back with the pain that was radiating from my back.

“Are you alright Theia?” Ms Annual said looking at me with a bored expression.

“Fine!” I replied quickly, Macey was just giving me the death glare. I just ignored it and turned towards Taya who was trying to keep a straight face which made me giggle. Everyone else was in the same boat to.



After awhile the class had settled down and not much else got exciting, that is unless you count 2 guys in front of you having spit ball fight. Then it was really fun, note the sarcasm.

After class Zoey followed me to my locker with her ongoing talk about how cool Brian is and if she was paying any attention she’d notice that I wasn’t listening since I’ve heard the same sentences since I turned 9.

Depressing I know,

“Hey Theia, are you feeling well? You look a little pale.” Zoey asked as I grabbed my bag for Gym Class, my most hated class. It used to be my favorite class until Mr. White started teaching it, I hate that guy. On my first lesson with him he made me run around the oval 10 times for no reason and he’s always smacking me on the back. I’d call it physical harassment if the Teachers didn’t think he was encouraging us to be healthy and bulk up. I’ve seen girls on TV who do that and it scared the hell out of me, like eww for one.

“Sorry, what?” I asked

“You feeling okay Theia?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I replied, “Any way’s I better get to class Zoey, see you at lunch.” I said and ran off to Gym Class.

Our School’s pretty green and in my opinion old, needs updating a bit.

When I got to Gym Class I was hoping my back wouldn’t play up again. When touched it though I instantly regretted it has a stinging pain ran through my back and shoulders.

“Are you alright Theia?” Sam?

“I’m fine.” I stated through clenched teeth, Just Great.

“You sure?” He asked

“Yeah.” Sam was asking if I was alright, I’m in heaven. I could die now, who cares about a sore back.

Now let me tell you a little about Sam, he’s the dream guy every girl wants. He’s got the looks, with his golden hair and ocean blue eyes. You can’t help being drawn to him, I always feel like drowning in his eyes. But because I’m Theia and a complete retard I passed up a chance to play the damsel in distress part as my knight in shining armor comes to rescue me.

I’m so dumb.

“Welcome back class and….. Theia.” Mr. White yelled above us and why does he always single me out, it’s not fair.

“Alright 5 laps when you’re all changed.” Well that’s better than last week I suppose, “Are you alright Theia, you look a little pale today?” White asked.

“I’m fine.” I wish every would stop asking me that though.



By the end of all the laps my back was aching like someone kept hitting it with a hammer, I was hoping he didn’t smack me on the back again. Luckily he didn’t, because even though I like being the tough girl. It’s really hurting.

“Are you sure you’re alright Theia? You’re white.” Taya’s twin Alice asked, confusing story about those two and it freaks me out when they finish each other’s sentences and their not even blood related. Back to me though.

“I’m fine.” I replied.

I winced as Alice placed her hand on my shoulder “You sure?”

“Sought of.” I replied, she gave me ‘You’re an Idiot’ look and grabbed my wrist and started pulling me towards the corridors.

“I’m taking Theia to the Nurse, she’s not feeling well.” She yelled out to Mr. White, as he looked at me he just nodded. Maybe I did look really bad.



Alice just looked at me though, probably thinking I’ve lost it or I’m high or something.



“Alice? How might help you?” The Nurse asked as we nearly bumped into her when we entered the office.

“Um, not me Molly.” Alice spoke quietly. “Theia isn’t feeling well.” She looked over at me,

“Well I can see that, come over here Theia and lay down. You look like you’re going to collapse any second.”

So I went over to the bed and sat down.

“Can I sit up, my back kind of hurts?” I asked

“Sure, I’m going to take your temperature and have a look at your back. Is there anyone available to pick you up?” She asked

“My Mum should be around.” I hoped

As she took my temperature I watched as her eyebrows went up. “What?” I asked.

About 2 minutes ago I’d gotten a fever and didn’t feel too good anywhere else in my body.

“Looks like you’ve just got the flu, here’s some pain killers for the ride home and it should clear up in 4 or 5 days. Just make sure you get some good bed rest.”

“Ok.” I simply replied

“I’ll ring you’re Mum now.” I nodded

“I better get back to class too, see you soon.” Alice yelled as she ran out of the office. Probably so she doesn’t have to run extra laps.



After 30 long minutes later my Mum finally arrived and I won’t bore you with the ride, I don’t remember much of it. But when I got home I only just managed to walk up to my room and lay down. I was like a light bulb, lights out.



I dreamt again, but it wasn’t like all the other times. It felt like I was spread across a great distance and I was finally coming back together. Every time I woke up I was so hot I thought I might burn up, my head felt like a time bomb, my eyes stung so bad and my back. The pain there was so intense I couldn’t describe it and every time I fell asleep the pain didn’t subside, it only increased. What was like little clips of memories, blurred and distorted raced past my view. It felt like my skull was cracking. As time wore on I felt like my shoulders were dislocated and it hurt. I cried out, but it hurt to breath. My voice was hoarse and my back held an enormous pressure against it. The sweat coming off me like a waterfall, I couldn’t move without pain ripping through my body.



After a while I managed to turn my head just a little bit towards my alarm clock, seeing the light my eyes burned. Everything looked weird, really blurry and coming and going. The sound around me was so loud it hurt, but I managed to figure out the time.

3: 00 AM, well near enough.



I didn’t fall asleep after that, the pressure on my back grew kept growing. Then the pain got even worse, I lay there as a warm liquid ran around me slowly.

Am I dying? What’s happening to me?, I thought.

And then something gave. There was a tear and I bit into the pillow as something started sliding out of my skin, it stung everywhere and in places I never knew existed. As seconds went by that felt like days.

My shoulders moved and I pushed forward into the bed and pushed my back up in response. It was heavy, so heavy and then just as I arched my back something slid outwards. Biting into the pillow I couldn’t hold it anymore, I pushed off the bed and cried out.

What felt like seconds later as I lay slumped in my bed,

“Sis, are you okay?” Little Katie. Moaning I tried to move at least a little, it hurt so much.

Just as I got my head towards the door a little bit, I heard the click of the door handle. Hitting me like a barrage I moaned again as the sound got to loud. “Theia!” Kate shouted and ran over to me, my head splitting in two from her shout.

“To loud.” I croaked out barely.

“Sorry.” she whispered, “What’s wrong Sis? What is that?” She asked a bit loud again, at least she tried I guess.

“I don’t know.” I just got out, I was slipping. Falling into unconsciousness,

“I’ll call Mum!” She shouted again and then remembering she was too loud “Sorry.”

“Wait.” I tried, something was wrong. Just a feeling, but they’ve never let me down.

But she didn’t hear me, I forced my hand out and tried to grab her. Just barely grabbing her shirt, scaring her as she looked at me and then something moved causing white hot pain to spread from my back all the way though my chest. She looked terrified.

“No Kate.” Keep her mind off it somehow, “Stay.” My voice barely able to be heard “Stay. With. Me.” She nodded terrified, just as everything went black.

That terrified face was the last thing I saw.

Am I Dead?



Chapter 2

It didn’t last long.

I woke up in incredible pain, my eyes hurt badly and my body ached all over but especially my back. Sounds assaulted me left right and center, the noise never ceasing, smells so intense I couldn’t breathe.

And I tasted Blood, I could smell it everywhere, my skin raged and as I opened my eyes the tiniest bit I moaned. So bright, the detail disorienting, I quickly shut them.

“I’m still here sis.” An incredibly timid voice spoke through the haze as wave upon wave of nausea threatened my stomach.

My chest was so sore, every time I took a breath it hurt. I felt like I’d run a marathon.

I tried opening my eyes again, it was easier this time. But everything looked different, like I’d never actually opened my eyes completely. It was amazing the detail I was seeing things in, it scared me.

I looked over at Kate, her eyes were puffy. She must have been crying, I could see the tear tracks clearly. She stayed with me, there was a bucket of water at her feet and a cloth in her hand. The cloth was discolored, dark red spots all over it. She was watching me from the side of my bed, her hair splayed all around her face and bags were under her eyes. I smiled at her and tried moving myself at least a little bit, it hurt, it hurt so much I can’t describe it. But I managed to turn my head so I could watch Kate better, she looked terrible.

She needed sleep.

“Go to sleep Kate, I’ll be fine.” I told her my voice hoarse, my throat aching front the effort. I just barely got it out.

“But Theia.” She whined, she was on the verge of breaking down, she must of thought I was dying. I can’t blame her, so did I, I still don’t know and it felt like it would have been better a while ago.

“It’s alright go to sleep, I’m not going anywhere.” But she didn’t go anywhere, within a couple of minutes she was asleep next to me covered in her blankets she must have brought up from her room when I was still asleep. She looked scared in her sleep, like she was having nightmares. I reached out as much as I could, only just managing to touch her forehead and then something unexplainable happened. Like heat was building up around me and coursing into my hand where I was touching her. My hand was tingling and then a flame burst out and lapped across to her, scared I pulled my hand away quickly groaning in pain at the sudden movement.

Then I noticed as I watched her face. She looked happy all of sudden, like she was having a really good dream.

But how? I asked myself as I drifted asleep again. What is going on?



Sleep didn’t hold me long, I woke up and watched Kate sleep for a while. She looked so peaceful, I didn’t want to disturb her so I stayed still.

She woke up around lunchtime, her belly rumbling as she woke up. I laughed, it hurt but I didn’t mind. At least she was her old self again, seeing her cry is like a knife in the chest.

She looked at me smiling at her and jumped up and hugged me. Pulling me up a bit, I clenched my teeth.

“Ow.” I stated

“Sorry, sorry!” She practically yelled

Looking back, I cringed as I saw all the dried blood.

Gross! What did happen to me anyway?

“Don’t worry it doesn’t hurt so much anymore.” My voice was still a little hoarse though.

“Can you pull the covers off, it feels gross.” She did I as I told her, I cringed as air hit something I couldn’t describe. It felt like when you get a blister and the skin peels, meeting air for the first time. What was strange was that it felt like something else on my body, sniffing the air I gagged and looked over to Kate.

Just standing there staring at me, “What?” She didn’t speak, I don’t think I even heard her breathing. I turned my head a little bit to the side and my chin wiped across something, something well strange. I felt my chin hit it.

Strange I thought,

“Theia?” Kate asked

I looked over to her, jerking my shoulder. Something shifted in my shoulders causing, Pain split everywhere around my upper back.

“Ow.” I said, whatever that was it hurt.

“What is that?” She pointed to my back shaking. I moved my head around a bit more but it was still sore so I couldn’t get far enough and then like a horror movie I spotted it.

WINGS.

Wings had grown out of my back, they were big. Only just going over the sides of the bed, I tried to pinch myself. They twitched and I was too exhausted to reach my arm.

“Pinch me.” I thought aloud.

“Ow.”

“Sorry..” Kate told me half grinning.

“Well it’s not a dream.” I stated, what now? And why is she so cheerful all of a sudden.



Well first things first, let’s get off the really gross bed and let me tell you it really hurt like hell.

As I shifted spots and tried to drag myself up, every time I moved my arms I had to keep my mouth shut from crying out. The pain in my back just kept coming. I figured it was every time I tried to move anything connected to my upper back.

“A little help here Katie.” I asked

“Sorry.” She said as she tried to help me up, I think she did a good job being an 8 year old. Although it was kind of concerning when she kept eyeing the wings like they were her whole world.

“Are you an Angel Theia?” She asked in awe. Mood swing?

“Don’t know, don’t care. But that hurt.” I replied pointing to my back. Clenching my teeth as the pain hits me when I moved my arms. “And actually it still hurts, can you get me some pain killers Katie?” I asked her

“I don’t where they are.” Oh right, better not tell her. But, pain or kid with drugs? I weighed it out in my mind. Better not risk it, Kate’s to adorable to even think about it.

“Don’t worry about it.” I said as I pulled myself up as much as I could, my legs half off the bed trying to find footing to stand up.

My legs were shaky and I had to sit back down a few times, but when I finally got to the mirror and turned around. I saw them, they weren’t overly big, probably not big enough to fly with. I probably wouldn’t even be able to keep myself up in the air, wait what am I doing. I should be asking why the hell I’ve got these things. Come to think of it, hell’s probably not a good word to use anymore. I think, maybe?

I’m so confused.





Chapter 3

I thought getting off the bed was the hard part, how wrong I was. It was torture trying to walk into the bathroom and I had to lean on Kate nearly the whole way. Everywhere was aching from the movement, but I needed to get cleaned up. After a while of staring at the wings on my back I’d started to notice the smell.

It was really bad, I was wondering why I wasn’t dead yet. It smelled worse than the guys locker room at school and yes I have been in there, not willingly of course.

Kate turned on the taps on and the water hit me full force, I cried out and the water stopped. It stung so much.

“Sorry! Sorry, sorry, sorry!” Kate’s voice was like a drum pounding away.

Waving my hands about in front of me I tried to get her to stop the noise.

“Shushhhh…” I prompted to her and she became quiet. “I’ll be alright, but can you get me something to eat please Kate.”

She nodded and ran down the stairs to the kitchen.





I’ll admit I am hungry, starving really. But that was only a distraction so I could test some things out myself for example, are they actually connected to me? It might sound stupid but I really thought that at the time. I just couldn’t believe it, who grows wings in this day and age.

Better yet who does it at all?



Slowly turning the taps on, the water stung and numbed my skin. Like my nerves were on fire, it didn’t hurt but it wasn’t really comfortable either. Slowly easing both taps to get the temperature right I looked down at myself, lying awkwardly in the bath with. It felt so strange feeling the sensations as the water pooled around me and tingling that felt so weird on my wings.

My Wings, It’ll take me little while to get used to that.



Relaxing in warm bath I was able to clean all the blood off me turning the bath a pink color, god I hated that color. You’ll never catch me wearing that or going near it. It’s a color I greatly despise and worn by I certain someone who doesn’t get the meaning of bitch. Excuse the language, but I’ll get to that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment